Since 2004, Goodwill has operated ReCompute, a computer/electronics recycling program that provides work-based job training to participants with significant barriers to employment. In addition to recycling over 2.5 million pounds of electronics annually, Goodwill refurbishes and distributes hundreds of computers at low cost to underserved individuals throughout San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin County. The proposed project was to upgrade and expand the capacities of the ReCompute program in the following ways:
- Integrate formal computer technician training and industry certification into the program.
- Increase the number of participants served every year from 4 to 94.
- Offer career assistance and job placement services in ICT positions to all program graduates.
- Provide each program participant with a low-cost computer at a predetermined point during training.
- Increase the number of refurbished computers distributed at low or no cost to underserved residents of San Francisco and San Mateo County to 600 per year.