Closing the Digital and Economic Divide in South Los Angeles by touching the lives of over 3,000 middle and high school youth and adults through ICT career exploration, education and training, and increased adoption of broadband technologies; paid work experience will be provided to over 200 youth and residents.
Progress to Date:
- Job Readiness training and Career Expo participants: 902 adults and students.
- Completed training of 19 students, 15 in college credit courses.
- Established and launched the IT Advisory Committee.
- Awarded 21st Century Community status.
- Carver Middle School principal designated funds for teachers to participate in tech training at CDTech.
CARVER STUDENTS LOOK TO THE FUTURE
Community College Initiative Connects Vernon-Central Youth with 21st Century Careers at Technology Career Expo
Saturday, April 26th, a determined group of 15 volunteers descended on Carver Middle School in the South Los Angeles community of Vernon-Central loaded down with the tools of their trade — a monster truck, video equipment, rockets, robots and lots of computers. These technology professionals were on a mission to spark the career aspirations of 200 Carver students towards a wide array of 21st century jobs. This 60 minute “career blitz” was a critical first step in giving
the students of this impoverished neighborhood hope that they have a place in the regional and global marketplace while simultaneously building L.A.’s skilled workforce of tomorrow.TechReady - Final Report