Carlos Ramos is Principal Consultant with Maestro Public Sector. He works with leading edge Silicon Valley innovators to bring innovation and transformative technologies to the public sector. Carlos founded Maestro after completing a 27-year career in California Government where he was a key technology leader and innovator directly involved in California’s technology initiatives.
During his tenure in the public sector, Carlos served as CIO for the State of California where he set California’s IT strategic direction and had oversight over and responsibility for the entire State technology portfolio.
Under his leadership, California established itself as a leader in mobile computing, the use of geo spatial technologies, data analytics, cyber security, virtualization and in public sector adoption of cloud computing in the public sector. In addition, Carlos lead creative initiatives to professionalize the State’s technology workforce. He established the first ever statewide IT project management office, created a project management academy and partnered with Silicon Valley to train the State’s workforce. Additionally, Carlos helped bring California’s innovations to other states as a member of the executive committee of the National Association of State CIOs (NASCIO).
Carlos previously served as Director of the California Office of Systems Integration – with a $4.5 billion portfolio of California’s largest technology projects. Carlos also concurrently held the position of Assistant Secretary for Health and Human Services and was the Agency’s senior technology executive. He was the principal technology advisor to the Secretary of Health and Human Services and was responsible for the entire HHS technology portfolio.
Prior to that, Carlos served as Director of the then Teale Data Center (now called Office of Technology Services). During his tenure as director, Teale launched it’s e-government platform, a new co-location service for government agencies and established a Data Center mutual assistance consortium of government Data Centers for disaster recovery and data security. Before his tenure at the Data Center, Carlos served as CIO for the California Department of Social Services.
Carlos has held many leadership commissions including:
- Board Member – Google Government Innovation Advisory Board
- Co-Chair – California Cyber Security Task Force
- Chair – California Broadband Council
- Member of the Executive Committee of the National Association of State CIOs
- Director – Stephen P Teale Data Center – State of California
- Chief Deputy Director – California Department of Child Support Services
- Deputy Director – California Department of Social Services
- Member – Governor’s E-Government Policy Advisory Group
- Chair – Data Center Directors Mutual Assistance & Policy Council
- Chair – Government Technology Conference
- Chair – California IT Executive Institute
- Executive Sponsor – California IT Leadership Academy